Skip to content

Information for private tenants

If you are living in private rented accommodation that no longer meets your needs you should talk your local authority. If you would like to move to social housing you will need to complete the application forms.

Your landlord should provide so-called auxiliary aids, such as a ramp or a raised seat for the loo.

For structural adaptations, such as a stairlift, handrails or replacing a bath with a walk-in shower – anything that changes the property itself – you need your landlord's permission.

New rights for private tenants mean it is now harder for landlords to refuse.

All private tenants have these rights, even if you live in the same house as your landlord, or you are an agricultural or crofting tenant (but not if you rent a mobile home).

These rights apply if:

  • You or someone you live with is disabled
  • The property is your only main or only home
  • The adaptations are needed to make the home suitable for the accommodation, welfare or employment of the disabled person.

If your landlord refuses, or sets conditions you think are unfair, then you should get some help. Click here to find local assistance (link to map)

Leave a Reply