Skip to content

Information for owner occupiers

If you own your own house, the council must help you to get aids & adaptations. How much help they offer can vary. They will visit you to see what difficulties you are facing, and they may also look at the needs of other family members living with you, including anyone who helps care for you.

They have to tell you what they are offering to do, and you can appeal if you don't think it is enough.

They will also allocate a priority, based on how urgent they think the work is. There may be quite a wait.

Sometimes the assessment may decide that adaptations are not enough to meet your needs. They may suggest you need to move. If this is the case, the council will work with you to explore your options.

If you are unhappy with the outcome of the assessment you should ask the council's social work department how you can appeal. If you are still unhappy after the appeal, you may want to contact the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman on 0800 377 7330, SPSO Freepost EH641, Edinburgh EH3 0BR or [email protected]

When an adaptation is the best way to meet your need, you can apply to the Council for financial help.

What adaptations can I get help with

Structural adaptations involving building work, like replacing a bath with a walk-in shower, a ramp to help you enter your home, lower worktops. Most of these attract a grant, as long as you have been assessed as having a priority need.

How much grant will I get?

A mandatory grant must cover 80% of the actual cost of the work.
If you are receiving one of these benefits, you will get 100% of the cost:

  1. Income Support
  2. Income Based Jobseeker's Allowance
  3. Pension Credit (guarantee element)
  4. Income Related Employment and Support Allowance.

You have to get three estimates and the council will decide if the price is reasonable. If you want to do extras at the same time, you will need to pay for them yourself.

Help to extend your home

Councils can only fund a house extension if it is for bathroom or toilet facilities. But if, for example, you are building an extension so you can sleep downstairs, it is worth asking the Council about a "discretionary grant".

Other assistance

What is described above is what you are entitled to under housing law. But you might also get help from the council's social work service and if you can't afford your 20% share of any costs, you can talk to them for help.

Contact a SAHN member for advice on moving forward.

Leave a Reply